It’s up to you to understand whom you can cover under your medical and prescription drug, dental, vision and other benefits.
Be sure to review the information below before you enroll.
You can cover your dependents if they fall under any of the following categories:
- Your spouse, unless you are legally separated
- Your domestic partner who lives with you and whom you share a common domestic life, but are not legally married*
- Your children up to age 26, regardless of employment, marital and/or student status
- The child(ren) of your domestic partner
- Your unmarried children age 26 or older who are incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of physical or mental disability
* Further details around covering a domestic partner and the tax implications can be found under the "Tools and Resources" section on https://benefits.rich.com.
Qualified Change in Status
Once you make your benefit elections, you’ll have to wait until the next enrollment period to make changes, unless you have a qualified change in status.
Qualified events include:
- Marriage or divorce
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Change in you or your spouse’s employment status that impacts your benefit eligibility
- Termination or commencement of your spouse’s job or benefits plan
- Change in dependent age (reaching age 26)
Life event rules may vary when adding or removing a domestic partner or the child(ren) of a domestic partner from coverage. Please review further details in the Summary Plan Description (SPD).
To make a midyear change based on any of these qualifications, you must complete the change online within 30 days of the qualified event. Documentation to verify newly added dependent relationships will be requested after enrollment.